Saturday, March 21, 2015

den: the shelves are DONE!

Today I’ll share my favorite part of our updated den — our DIY shelving unit! Please excuse all of the crazy shadows in the pictures. See, I had beautiful naturally lit photographs, but when I went to post them I realized I didn’t have any art in two of the frames. Then a few episodes of Arrested Development and a big bowl of pork ragu happened, and all of a sudden it was dark out!

Worth it.

The biggest transformation in the room was going from this:


To this:


I had the best time putting up several of the books and decorative objects I’ve collected over the years. Really, the hardest part of the styling process was choosing to say "no” to a bunch of my favorite objects in order to keep the shelves from looking cluttered.

I don’t mind the way the top shelf looks with the left side being blank, but I’m going to try putting a vine-y plant up there. I spent TWO HOURS in Michaels the other day looking at artificial plants! My mom saved the day by offering to give me an offshoot of her Philodendron.


I was originally planning to use my agate bookends on this bottom shelf, but my colorful books distracted from the agate and they got sort of lost in all the color. I picked up 4” clamps for $8 each at Home Depot and voilà!


These hanging frames at World Market caught my eye and I knew they’d be perfect for this spot. The art is a page from a book of quotes that I tore out and cut in half. I originally bought a beautiful faux mother of pearl box for the shelves, but I ended up having the same problem with the box that I had had with the agate bookends. It was really hard for me to return it (I’m still having second thoughts), but the basket I replaced it with was much cheaper and is less distracting. 


I had a mini freak-out when I saw this brass stand magnifier at an antique mall in Georgia. It is one of my very favorite things. The large piece of art is my “big” souvenir from my Europe trip. It’s a pen and ink of Salzburg, Vienna, with gorgeous watercolor detail. It happened to fit perfectly in an empty frame and mat that my parents had given me on one of my many “Becker basement shopping sprees.” (The bell was also taken from their basement. Thanks, mom and dad!)

The picture in my prism frame is cut from a postcard I bought at the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin. 


For $6, you too can have a ridiculous looking eyeglass holder that will make you smile.


Believe it or not, I’ve been keeping my eye out for a trophy cup for nearly a year now. This cup, from one of my favorite shops, is the perfect size and it has a gorgeous patina. 

There you have it! I am loving these shelves. I didn’t enjoy spending time in the den for a long time because of how cluttered it was. Now it’s a lovely space that I look forward to cozying up in.

Come on over! :)



Sources:
Trunk – from my childhood
Shelving unit materials – Home Depot
C-clamp bookends – Home Depot
Trophy cup – The Cottage in Dayton, VA
Rhinoceros – Kohls
Vintage camera – thrifted
Armillery sphere – gifted (World Market)
Hanging frames – World Market 
Rectangular basket – Michaels 
Prism frame – Retro Metro (also available at Bed Bath & Beyond and CB2)
Brass bell – gifted 
Salzburg print – gallery in Salzburg, Austria
Mat and frame around Salzburg print – gifted
Magnifying glass holder – Canton Street Antique Market in Roswell, GA
Eyeglass holder – World Market 
Brass antelope bookends – from grandmother
Gold clock – awarded to Andy from Kellogg’s!
Vintage set of “works of” books – from grandmother

4 comments:

  1. I've been enjoying watching the work you've done leading up to this :) As a fellow book lover, in my humble opinion the end result came out beautifully, and it Does look very inviting...Enjoy! and thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathi, thank you so much for commenting! I’m always happy to hear that someone other than my mom reads this little blog of mine. :)

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed with the shelves! They turned out beautifully! I'm all about those antelope bookends...I'm convinced your grandma's house must have been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amber! Guuurl, you would have died and gone to heaven if you could have seen her place! I’ll have to try to find some pictures. She used to have an interior design shop called “Jean Becker Interiors” on South Washington Street in Old Town, Alexandria. She was definitely your kind of lady. Total queen bee, drink in her hand, always laughing or dancing or singing. I miss her!

      Delete

thanks for reading!