Sunday, January 19, 2014

in case you ever find yourself craving meatloaf

It can happen, you know. One minute you're watching "Man vs. Food" and the next you're saying, "I have never wanted meatloaf so badly in my life."

I only make meatloaf maybe once a year. Why is that? I really never think of it on my own. A friend will mention she's making it, or I'll see some Pinterest pin about all the things you can make it muffin tins. I still haven't convinced one friend that she needs to try it—apparently once you've been served dry meatloaf, you're traumatized for life.

THIS meatloaf is not dry. Trust. I only had a little over one pound of beef on hand but didn't alter the recipe any, and it was perfect! I served the meatloaf with mashed potatoes and corn.

Best basic meatloaf
makes 4 man-size servings or 6 normal portions

for the meatloaf:
1.5 lb of ground beef
1 cup of milk
1 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1 heaping Tbsp of ketchup
1 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce
a few pinches of salt and pepper

for the sauce:
1/2 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp ground (dry) mustard or 1 Tbsp of prepared (wet) mustard

Mix meatloaf ingredients thoroughly and shape into a loaf in a loaf pan or baking dish. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Then, stir sauce ingredients together and spread over the cooked meatloaf. Bake for 15 minutes longer, then slice and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for reading!